Sunday, June 24, 2007

The disgruntled laundryman.

As I was weighing myself at the gym today (72.8kgs... you didn't need to know that but it's too late now) the laundry guy who makes sure we all have crisp, warm, perfect towels walked in and began stacking the last batch of towels for the day. I had just showered so needless to say I was at a fairly vulnerable juncture. Anyway, as I look at the scales this gentleman decides to engage me in conversation. We will never know what it was, my friendly demeanor or the fact that I was naked but this guy decided to confide in me. "I hate this job... I hate my life... I should be at home... I have a wife and kids... you know what I mean... I left my son sleeping in bed and I come home to see him sleeping... I hate this job... this is not life... this is not how to live... I should be at home... I hate my life..." I really wanted to sit down with the guy and talk with him. In fact I did try to talk with him but I don't think he was in a listening mood. I was like "Hey man at least you're getting paid and stuff... some people don't even have a living." and "This isn't so bad..." etc but I kept feeling like I was walking in on a conversation he might have been having with himself while he happened to be facing me and looking at me. Trust me, I feel for the guy but it was fairly awkward.
Now my concern is this: I go to a gym with unhappy laundry people. I use their towels. Should this gentleman so choose he could launch a full on biological war on the entire gym. There's no end to the havoc he could wreak. He has a job which gives him a fair bit of potential to exact his revenge on the company while being discreet. You get the idea.
Now I'm not paranoid. I'm still going to keep using the gym's towels, but the seed of doubt has been planted.
So, postal workers, chefs, scientists and laundry people. You don't want to mess with these guys.

No comments: